Elston Gunn's WEEKLY SCRIPT REPORT (Major Sales, Events, and other News!)
September 1st, 2000
- Garrett K. Schiff and Jim Burnstein will write an untitled comedy for MTV Films about a regular guy who is mistaken as a genius.
- Teri Minski scripted and Matt Cooper (CAMPFIRE TALES) will direct SEX AND THE OTHER THING for the Vault and Paradox Films about two female best friends and their loves and losses after college.
- Cynthia Mort and Melanie Mayron will write LET IT RIDE for Valhalla Prods. based on true story of two female football game bookmakers. Mort will also produce her modern love story script for Millennium Films.
- David Garrett and Jason Ward (CORKY ROMANO-formerly CORKY BONONO) will write MONTY for producer Bob Simonds about a guy who falls for the perfect girl with an imperfect dog. They'll also write FIRST JOB for producers Tom Pollack and Ivan Reitman about a group of youngsters on their first job who stage a mutiny after their mysterious boss goes crazy.
- Russell Gannon and Jim Lofti wrote KNIGHT CLUB which Gannon will direct. Lochlyn Munro (SCARY MOVIE) will star as a young actor wannabe who becomes a bouncer and is consumed by the world of L.A. nightlife. Glenn Plummer (SPEED 2) and Lou Diamond Phillips also star.
- Kristen Buckley and Brian Regan are writing a comedy set in ancient Rome for Original Films and Twentieth Century Fox. It is described as "AMERICAN PIE meets GLADIATOR."
- French graphic artist Jean "Moebius" Giraud will create and Frank Foster will direct the computer animated 3D film THRU THE MOEBIUS STRIP set for a 2003 release. James Cox (RESCUERS DOWN UNDER) scripted the story of a son of a physicist who searches for his father in a transportation portal, following him to another planet inhabited by giants.
- Bradley Allenstein (JUWANNA MANN) and Robert Henny will write PIMP PASTY, a comedy for Paramount about a white rapper who thinks he is black.
- Horation Sanz ("SNL") will co-write and star in an untitled comedy about a portly former tennis prodigy who becomes so desperate after his career fades away, he robs a convenience store, gets caught and finds himself in the news again. He returns to playing tennis, rising to new heights.
- Adam Resnick (LUCKY NUMBERS) penned DEATH TO SMOOCHIE with Danny DeVito is in talks to star for Warner Bros. about a Barney-type big blue rhinoceros who is the target of an assassination.
There was not a lot of script news this week, but some interestingtidbits nonetheless. I'm curious about DEATH TO SMOOCHIE and PIMP PASTY, but my pick of the week goes to THRU THE MOEBIUS STRIP. I think it'll be interesting to see how they explore a father-son relationship on a giant-inhabitedplanet... plus it's going to be a 3D animated film. Sounds fun.
-- Elston Gunn
(Sources: The Hollywood Reporter, Variety)